lil-bee: the randomizer


Loss
Sunday, May 05, 2013 | 2:01 am | Comment ⇢
While I've been grappling with the different political theory used to complicatedly explain the economic phenomena I've been learning for the past 5 years, I once again came across the work of the lovely Alice Amsden and remembered the painful beginning of a particularly invigorating lecture I attended back in 2012. It was part of my Political Economy of Development course and this particular lecture was given by Christopher Cramer (AMAZING man) and after reading his work, I was looking forward to hear him in person.

As I mentioned, the lecture was extremely interesting and alive, so to speak. You could feel the enthusiasm and belief from Prof Cramer's words as he walked around the stage, making even graphs appear interesting. Anyway, at some point at the beginning of the lecture, while I was dreaming away about evenings filled with ground breaking heterodox economics oriented chit chat with some cheese and Prof Cramer and pals (this was when he started reminiscing about an evening spent with Amsden and I think Amartya Sen), he suddenly mentioned how unfortunate it was that Alice had passed away. That snapped me right out of my fantasy (though okay, it usually involved me being the only female intellect but whatevs, Alice was super cool) and I think I would have been more upset had I had the time to process the information fully, before Dr Cramer continued with the lecture.

Anyway, after that life happened and while running around reading different authors, different theories, different topics, it kind of slipped my mind / I didn't really stop to think about the loss. But right now, while sitting alone at 2 am trying to revise because I'm oh so behind my schedule, I just got to thinking about how much of a loss it truly was. And how lucky the students who fall under the pupilage of these amazing academics are. I've had a small share of great lecturers in my life and they all have given me back in ways that I'll never forget. But to truly be in the presence of legends, academic rockstars whose work I've poured over and excitedly agreed with, THAT would have been amazing. And while I'll never get that chance with Dr Amsden (may God grant her peace), I have SO many opportunities available here in London and really ought to grasp them before its too late.

I've mentioned the sad reality of the decline in gaining knowledge for the sake of it, but in order to overcome this, I fully plan on stalking and attending lecturers by admired academics, post-graduation, back at the home grounds as well as across enemy lines and in the land of doom (LSE). Sure there is a chance that they aren't as brilliant in person as on paper(s) but thats a chance I'm willing to take because there is equally the chance of them changing my life and making an impact as huge as their work have made in my life.

So cheers to that! 




Post a Comment


old | new