lil-bee: the randomizer


Guilty Pleasure
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 | 6:06 pm | Comment ⇢
For most girls, its shoes or handbags or makeup.

Don't get me wrong, I've got 50+ pairs and once felt like a pair was calling out to me, compelling me to buy them. Same with handbags. And I'm somewhat of a make-up addict.

But my worst guilty pleasure? GADGETS. Yup, I'm a total tech-geek. A gadget addict. I'm always on the lookout for the latest phone, tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, etc etc .. and when I see one I like, I go a little bit crazy.

My latest obsession for the past few months has been getting an Android tablet, more specifically the HTC Flyer and believe me, if it was cheaper, I'd jump up and sell my soul for it. Okay, no .. if it was cheaper, I wouldn't need to sell anything.

But hey, I'm Asian. And an economist. So I need to budget myself .. and in comes the next new thing. And its awesome. And CHEAP!

I read a lot of books. And I don't have any space left for them :( and some of them are kind of embarrassing. So what I've been CRAVING to do is:

1. Sell off all my paper books
2. Buy them as e-books
3. Not make a loss.

Now I'm aware that some books will never go digital. And I'm okay to have my fill of new-book-smell by going to a local store. But the problem is, I haven't been able to find a nice place to sell my books. Most of them are in perfect condition (because I'm OCD like that), but its just hard selling books :(

Amazon (where I buy almost all my books from) has a trade-in program, I wish this extended to books so that I could trade mine in for kindle credits. Ah if only.

However, some wishes do come true. I wanted a tablet that would be predominantly used as an e-reader but had tablet capabilities too. This meant using e-ink, being small and light but also having enough pow to run well as a tablet. And I wanted this cheap. I wished that HTC would take over / get inspiration from the Notion Ink Adam, downsize the size, while upgrading the hardware / software and sell for cheap.

And than Mashable tweeted something that was dream come true. And while its no Flyer, the new Nook from B&N looks pretty fricking awesome. Now just to wait till I can get it off someone state side .. and to see if this Android Reader gets rooted to a tablet, like its ancestor .. while retaining the e-ink technology. Long shot, but hey the people at XDA can do anything they want ;)

That being said, maybe I'll hold on till a possible Amazon tablet release .. because hey, its better to get a tablet thats an e-reader, than an e-reader tablet, thats not really a tablet.

Guilty pleasure / obsession? Oh yes. But hey, means the hubby can play with my toys too (unlike the case with jewellery - FYI, I totally don't like em) ;)




Post a Comment


old | new